Sometimes I mix a cocktail to share with family and friends. This past weekend, I noticed that putting my own flavour on the recipe is arguably more important than following the book, in making that drink more enjoyable (and therefore memorable) than the last one friends enjoyed.
Marketing service businesses seem to present similar challenges to making the perfect cocktail. Is there a recipe and what are the ingredients to marketing ‘the human buy services way’?:
- Add a liberal dose of creativity – and dare your businesses to be different from the boardroom down. Marketers be brave
- Mix it with 2 parts passion and one part expertise – the surest way to get your firm’s knowhow recognised, and in my view, a much under-used technique
- Stir in a good dash of visual intrigue – everything needs to look good, including technical services, if we are to cut through the competition. Use pictures, images, moving images – that’s how we consume information today
- Find out my tastes – and tailor your solutions to fit me, not you and your structure
- Throw out the recipe book – sniff out fresh ingredients and show a genuine interest in me and how you make me feel. Teach me something new and your increase your chance of standing out
- And if you find a winning recipe, stick to it – stay focused, share your vision, become famous for it, and the chances are that people will come back for more
And if anyone is interested, my favourite cocktail is a Mojito, heavy on the mint and light on the sugar. What’s yours?